We all have stuff…some of us might even be classified as “hoarders” – but thanks to Oprah and her team of experts, you can now de-clutter your life and help some great causes! See below for the The O List to CLUTTER-FREE LIVING from the March 2011 Issue.
DONATE, RECYCLE, SELL…Say GOODBYE to the STUFF that’s weighing you down!
- Used Clothing: We all know the usual locations to drop off used clothing—Salvation Army, local thrift shops, etc.—so this year why not try donating to the Vietnam Veterans of America instead? The organization will resell it to fund programs for veterans and will pick up your donation too! It doesn’t get more convenient than that.
****If your items have some value that you want to cash in on – consider consigning with us at ChristabellesCloset.com and either make money back on your unwanted designer duds – or – have your profit donated to your charity of choice****
- Stuffed Animals: Ensure your favorite teddy bear is in good hands by donating it and other stuffed animals to SAFE (stuffedanimalsforemergenciesonly.org), which will then donate them to hospitals, homeless shelters, and emergency aid workers for children riding in ambulances
- Toiletries: Ready to give up your hotel shampoo and soap collection? Great, just drop them off at Clean the World, which will deliver them to areas have that been inundated with communicable diseases, which can often easily be contained through frequent hand-washing
- Shoes: If you’re ready to part ways with certain pairs of shoes, try donating them to Soles4Soles, which in turn gives away millions of shoes to those in need. All you have to do is drop them off at one of their numerous boxes all across the nation
- Cell Phones: Not only can you clear up some drawer space (or a landfill), you can also make some cash by giving your phone to Flipswap, which will resell or safely recycle it AND plant a tree for every recycled phone.
- Cars: If you’re trying to get rid of an old car, consider passing it along to Habitat for Humanity’s Cars for Homes program, which will tow away your donation and send you a receipt so you can deduct it from your taxes. They then resell the car to help build affordable housing in your areas
- Everything Else: Freecycle will take used bikes, appliances, furniture, party décor, and anything else you can think of and pair them up with local people who want or need them